Friday 19 August 2011

Campbellton to Halifax

Distance travelled over last 11 days: 930 km
Total distance: 7525 km

Since Campbellton, I have cycled through many Acadian towns and villages. Acadians, by definition, are French-speaking Atlantic Canadians, so my French hasn't been completely useless since Quebec. The Acadian flag - blue, white and red stripes adorned with a single gold star - has been a prominent sight on businesses, outside homes, and painted on telephone poles.

I made stops overnight in Bathurst, Miramichi and St. Louis de Kent before reaching the Moncton area. Instead of stopping in Moncton, however, I kept pursuing a slight diversion to Hopewell Rocks. I didn't quite make it to the campground near Hopewell, so I relied on the generosity of a couple who let me tent on their lawn for the night.
Escuminac, NB, on the way to Moncton
I had checked the tidal information for Hopewell Rocks, so I knew low tide would be at 6:30 am, before the park opened. I got to park at opening time - 8 am - and made my way down to the beach area so that I could walk amongst the fascinating arches and flowerpots before the area closed at 10 for the incoming tides. After making brunch at the park, it was about high tide, so I made my way to an observation point to see the rocks one more time.

Arches and flowerpots!
The rocks at low tide
The same rocks at high tide
After my time at the park, I backtracked into Moncton. I found a Chinese buffet with a fabulous dessert bar, and connected with Pastor Troy and Sister Jan of Highfield Street Baptist Church. They gave me a place to pitch my tent for the night, and welcomed me into their church for Sunday morning. Troy is very knowledgeable about camping, cycling and all manner of outdoors activities, which made sharing my adventures more fun.

Two days later, I was at the 14 year old Confederation Bridge. Unfortunately, pedestrians and cyclists have to take a shuttle across the 13 km long bridge, even though I think there is plenty of room to cycle down the shoulder!

Confederation Bridge, NB side

Prince Edward Island is hillier than I bargained. By the time I reached my couchsurfing destination at Karyn's place, I was wiped. The next day, I covered the remaining 20 or so kilometers into Charlottetown and did sightseeing in the area before connecting with Karyn's sister, Suzane, and her husband, Mark, both eager fair-weather road cyclists.

Hay bales in PEI, and Northumberland Strait in the distance
Red rocks and a lighthouse near Victoria Park
I left Charlottetown, headed for Halifax, NB. Between the cities lay roughly 225 km of  road, and 25 km of water, which I traversed via ferry. I got some great views of PEI's coastline and red rocks from this vantage point.

What a funny looking sailor!

There are four exits to this roundabout, and they all look like this!


What would "New Scotland" be without sheep?!
I stayed on quiet secondary highways almost the entire way into Halifax. I split the cycling over two days, camping in the little town of Middle Musquodoboit. In Halifax, I have been treated to the hospitality of brother Larry and his wife, Lorna. Today, we took a drive with brother Albert and sister Priscilla down to Peggy's Cove, the quintessential lighthouse. Despite foggy and overcast weather, it was warm and breezy - perfect weather for a lighthouse!

The lighthouse at Peggy's Cove

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike:
    I'm enjoying reading about and following you as you trek across or beautiful country.
    Looking forward to read as you finish up in St. John's.
    In case you wondering who I am. You stopped by my home briefly just outside of Dryden Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great beard shots mike. I hope you keep that around!
    Kev

    ReplyDelete