Monday 27 June 2011

Drumheller to Saskatoon

Distance travelled over last 5 days: 497 km (and another ~40 km by car)
Total distance: 2077 km

Prairie weather is an fascinating thing. As I made my through Calgary-Drumheller-Chinook under fair-weather conditions, I was also dodging rainstorms left and right (or east and west, if you prefer). It seems like the storms around here can develop in a flash, and they can be over you before you know it (more about that later).

Looking eastward while tenting at the outskirts of Drumheller, I witnessed some of the most dynamic skies I've seen along my trip. The night proved to be dry and warm for me, but as I headed eastward the following morning, the Delia cafe owner told me about the two inches of rain that hit their town in a span of 15 minutes. I'm pretty happy I didn't have to tent out in that!

Looking eastward from Drumheller towards Delia
The wind is a love/hate relationship. First the hate: Drumheller to Chinook, and Chinook to Kindersley were back-to-back days of moderate headwinds. On a windless day I might average close to 25 km/h on such terrain, but in the wind with my bulky and weighty load, I could only manage 18. "The invisible force" elevates the demand on the body, and requires extra power and energy to get from A to B. I was very pleased with my effort and determination, after arriving in Chinook, to have covered in excess of 150 km. It was a very long day of cycling through flat terrain and straight highways. As much as I wanted to hit the imperial century mark of 100 mi (160 km), which I would have attained by persisting until Cereal, I knew it would be better for me to tent and rest up when I reached Chinook. That evening, I met Denis and Sonja at their quiet residence in Chinook. They were very welcoming: I tented in their yard, and we shared a range of conversations both in the evening and the next morning. In their backyard, a whole range of birds take sanctuary, and start their morning singing at about 4 am. The only bird I could identify was the mourning dove, which was unmistakable thanks to Mom and Dad's bird clock which hangs in the kitchen.

Like I said earlier, storms can develop in no time at all on the prairies. Day number 21 from Chinook started out with fair weather. I crossed the line from Alberta into Saskatchewan, passing the border town of Alsask along the way. A little ways further, and thunderstorms started to appear on the horizon - both to the east and the west. The skies started to darken around me.


The calm before the storm

It started to spritz a few raindrops. Getting ready for an "adventure", I donned my rain jacket and shoe booties. The rain intensified, and the winds started to blow crosswise. Sooner than I could expect, the rain was pelting down sideways. It was about 3 pm, and I was enveloped in darkness! The wind forced me to lean my bike in order to hold my balance, and finally, when the gusts challenged my ability to stay on the shoulder, I decided I had to stop for my own safety. I couldn't be seen in the rain and darkness, and I couldn't even hold a straight line!

Thankfully, I had two helmet-mounted strobe lights. I flipped them on and swivelled my body around, signalling down the first pair of headlights coming my way - it was a truck. The driver stopped, and I ran up to the window; I didn't even have to explain myself: "Get your stuff in the back, I'm getting you out of here!" she said.

I stepped into the cab wearing a soaking wet jacket. The rain was so loud on the windshield that we could hardly hold a conversation much of the time. Shannon, as I found out, was on her way to Kindersley for an appointment. She lives in that tiny town of Alsask I had passed up just a little while earlier.

Roughly 40 km to the east, the rainstorm never really hit Kindersley. It was fairly sunny, and certainly quite warm. The two of us stopped at Timmies for drinks and conversation before she took off on her business. I regret not having the presence of mind to get some form of contact information so that we could have stayed in touch.

I found residence that night with a last-minute couchsurfing request to Teagan. We had a fun hour or so of conversation while preparing and enjoying a chocolate fondue before I took my rest. Fondue is quickly becoming the comfort food of choice for this trip - it started in Calgary.

After a rest day to regroup in Kindersley, I took off for Rosetown... or so I thought. With heavy tailwinds, I made it to Rosetown by about 10 am. After eating an entire roast chicken for lunch, I decided to go for broke and set my sights for Saskatoon - one day ahead of the plan. Even 200 km isn't too far when you're sustaining 35, even 40 km/h down the highway. All the way to Saskatoon, the weather was sunny and bright. The riding was easy; my only job was to keep the cranks going around.

207.2 km from Kindersley to Saskatoon
Needless to say, I surprised my host in Saskatoon, Brad, by showing up a day early. Armed with an incorrect phone number, I wasn't able to get a hold of him to let him know about my amazing pace for the day.

Today, I rested in Saskatoon to attend a local church, visit the downtown district, and listen in on the jazz festival. In the evening, Brad, his fiancee Christina and I cooked up some butter chicken and (of course) chocolate fondue for the all the guys staying at the shared home.

In other news, my chinstrap tan-line is coming in real nice.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike,

    It looks like you're having a good time, I also got a soaking the other day but it doesn't sound as extreme as yours. California is now back to its normal sunny self :)

    Keep on pedalling!

    Nico

    ReplyDelete