Wednesday 29 June 2011

Saskatoon to Griswold

Distance traveled over last 5 days: 659 km
Total distance: 2736 km

Saskatoon has some scenic bike routes through its city. I took the Meewasin Valley Trail out of the city on a sunny Monday morning. I gained a tiny bit of elevation pedaling to Hanley, which, according to local knowledge, put me at one of the five highest cities in Saskatchewan. The weather got quite muggy and warm, and when I discovered that the town of Kenaston had a public pool, I was eager to use the showers (and I did!).

Saskatoon skyline as I leave the city

It's roughly 260 km between Saskatoon and Regina - a two day trip. Late into the first day, when I saw the forecast for day two called for stiff 30-35 km/h headwinds, I decided to hustle as far as I could with all the sunlight I had left. I passed by Craik, the midway point, and made it to Aylesbury, where I connected with local resident Ron, who offered me a shower and a place to tent out for the night (thank you Ron).

Nervous about the upcoming weather, I got a very early start, hitting the road at 6 am. The forecast proved to be correct. I think this ride, in particular, was more physically and mentally challenging than anything I have faced, even the Rockies; it was like riding uphill the entire day, but without the satisfaction of a downhill descent. I averaged only 15 km/h.

Riding into Regina was also very flat, except for the only hill I've found in the prairies! The town of Lumsden sits in a small valley, with short moderate slopes on both sides. There's a neat little confectionary where I ate some delicious gluten free crepes for lunch/snack-time.

The valley into Lumsden

I reached Regina around 3:30, and headed to Mosaic stadium to capture some shots of the most famous Canadian football stadium. Locals tell me the whole city gets in a craze for Riders games.

Afterwards, I was able to make one of the most anticipated visits of my journey. I made my way over to a care home where I surprised my pastor and teacher of 7 years as his dinner guest for the evening. At first, Lorne was incredulous that it was me because I was still wearing my sunglasses, but I slid them off my face, and in his predictable manner, he struck a grin and chuckled to himself because he was at a loss for words!

Me and Pastor Lorne

At the dinner hall, Lorne introduced me to all the servers as his friend who had cycled from Vancouver. We had an hour and a half to talk about the Bible, the Berean church in Vancouver, its members, and occasion to reminisce on old times. By 7 pm, he was ready to prepare for bed, so we said our goodbyes and shared our blessings on each other.

I spent the night at John and Judy's place, where I was treated to a fantastic chicken dinner with all manner of sides and fruit for dessert. Thanks Judy, that was truly a luxurious dinner!
I had all intentions of leaving Regina the next day, but after spinning my wheels over morning errands, I met up with brother Sonny for lunch, and decided to spend one more night in the city with his family. We had a prayer meeting with another family that evening, and on our return, the skies were filled with thunder and lightning. Apparently, very hot summer days bring evening storms on the prairies!

I left Regina without much of a plan. All I really knew was that I'd be on the Trans-Canada for a number of days henceforth. The ear plugs I picked up in Regina proved to be a wise purchase, as I had a four lane highway, lots of truck traffic, and a railway all in need of silencing.

Along the way out of Regina, I stopped at Wolseley, where I crossed the swinging bridge tourist attraction. In the evening, I reached Burrows, where I met grandparents Ewen and Phyllis. Their grandchildren (4 and 6 years old, I think) were visiting, and were eager to see what was in my bags, and how my tent went together. We all had a very fun time together, and in the morning, Ewen, Phyllis and I shared more conversation over breakfast. I felt right at home, so thank you both, again!

Sign outside Ewen and Phyllis' home in Burrows, SK.

Shortly after passing Wapella today, I saw the first wind turbine farm of my trip. There were probably 20 to 25 turbines in the region. Later in the afternoon, I crossed the Saskatchewan-Manitoba, where there were two visitor centers (one for each province), and cookies & juice at both! Not sure if that was a Canada Day special or not.

Wind turbines!


Tonight  I am in middle-of-nowhere Griswold. Kind of a hick-town around here, but don't let anyone know I said that! :)

Also: Happy Canada Day everyone! If there are fireworks in my town, I might wake up and snap a few pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment