Monday 25 July 2011

Sault Ste. Marie to Ottawa

Distance travelled over last 7 days: 846 km
Total distance: 5392 km

Since Sault Ste. Marie, the topography has changed noticeably. To this point, the rolling hills of Ontario made for a dependable pattern: as I scaled each small hill, I knew I would be going down it in two or three hundred meters. But now, the land is flatter, and farming is more prevalent.

I traveresed Sault Ste. Marie to Blind River with relative ease. With the shores of Lake Superior behind me, I was now travelling along Lake Huron. Locals tell you to expect a change in the weather, but for me, it continued to be hot and humid. This made for some fascinating morning fog on the morning I left Blind River.

Morning fog in Blind River

From Blind River, I put in a long day of cycling to cover nearly 170 km into Sudbury. Peter, who I contacted over couchsurfing, was kind enough to host me for the night and give me a walking tour around the city, which included Science North - a kind of Telus World of Science located in Sudbury. Sudbury also has Canada's second tallest free-standing structure: the 380 m tall stacks from the nickel smelting facilities. The immense height of the stacks is intended to disperse the pollutants into the atmosphere as much as possible.

Science North is shaped like a snowflake from above
The next morning, I finally got my bicycle chain and cassette replaced before I left Sudbury. It was paricularly hot, so I drenched my towel in water and draped it over my head. It wasn't long before I had people approaching me speaking Spanish!

Senor Michael
On a day where the weather was so extreme, I found a lot of people were compassionate to me, the lowly cyclist. At a rest stop en route to North Bay, some RVers connected with me, and stocked me up with ice and chilled water. I stopped in at a number of gas stations just to wet my towel and quench my desire for a cold drink. Beating the heat also meant taking a fully-clothed dip in a lake along the way. According to the forecast, it reached 36 C / 97 F, but according to the waitress at Tek's seafood restaurant in North Bay, it hit 45 C. The restaurant was great: I had all-you-can-eat fish and chips, and placed a few phone calls back home to connect with family and friends. I really enjoyed my stay in North Bay, and found the downtown area to be much like Gastown in its architecture and brickwork.

Monument at North Bay
From North Bay, it was three days of cycling to get to Ottawa. The first day was flat until I left Mattawa at lunch time. After Mattawa, it was a struggle to get to camp. The terrain turned hilly all of a sudden, and everything seemed uphill. Each hillcrest revealed another hill behind it, and the pattern continued for more than 4 hours. I got to camp exhausted; unfortunately it was a provincial park, and like all provincial parks, it was notoriously expensive. It was also full of noisy neighbours and children on bicycles. Until the parks have walk-in or cyclist rates, that will be the last provincial park I stay at if I have any say in the matter!

First look at Ottawa River from the Provincial Park
The second day to Ottawa took me past Deep River (a Manhattan Project community), Petawawa (a Canadian Forces Base) and Pembroke. I had a late lunch and several calorie-rich drinks at Pembroke before heading to Cobden for the night. I was on pace to have some relaxation time at camp, but I caught a flat just 3 km from the first campground. I didn't know precisely how close I was at the time, so I fixed the flat on the spot. It turns out a staple pierced the side-wall of my rear tire. I reached Bona Vista campground at about 8 pm - enough time to tent out and freshen up before sundown. I found it to be a well-serviced campground and a pleasure to stay at.

Finally, I was within a day to Ottawa. It was Sunday morning, and for some reason the Trans-Canada was packed with traffic in both directions. At times along my trip, the noise of the traffic has been overwhelming, and I desire for it to go away so that I could cycle in silence. I think it's busy here for good reason, however. The highway turns into the 417 near Ottawa - a big 6-lane (or more?) highway that cyclists cannot ride on. Instead, I detoured into the city of Arnprior, where I grabbed lunch and zig-zagged my way down quieter secondary roads and cyclepaths into Ottawa, where I met with several brothers and sisters for dinner.

A view of Arnprior, where I got some lunch before reaching Ottawa
Today, I spent a rest day under the kind hospitality of Brother Yinsuo. It was overcast, and cooler than days prior, but made for an enjoyable tour of Parliament Hill (free!), Byward Market, and after crossing the interprovincial bridge into Quebec, the Civilization Museum.

The Parliament Building and Peace Tower, with 53 bells

Arches in the Parliament building
The Rideau Canal
Tomorrow I am taking one more rest day in Ottawa to run errands before I head off towards Montreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment