Monday 11 July 2011

Winnipeg to Thunder Bay

Distance travelled over last 6 days: 767 km
Total distance: 3743 km

The thought of going into Ontario was foreboding. I knew out would be vast, desolate, and to some degree, treacherous!

I left Winnipeg without much of a plan, letting the wind, the road and the kilometers take me where it wanted. I passed a significant marker that day: the longitudinal midpoint of Canada. At the end of the day, I wound up at Falcon Lake, which has a grocery that yielded the supplies for my 6-egg pepperoni omelette and chili. Falcon Lake is really quite stunning in the evening, and was a great place to camp for the night.

The Longitudinal Center of Canada

The next day, I crossed into Ontario, and I knew it immediately - the cultivated land of Alberta, Saskatchewan and eastern Manitoba had already changed into birch forest, and now it was changing into pine forest. The other marker was the terrain, which suddenly changed to rolling hills. I was changing gears with increased frequency, as it was the slopes - not the wind - that dictated my pace.
One of my favorite rides thus far has been Manning Park to Princeton, but riding into Kenora is near the top of the list, too. Dozens of pristine mountain lakes dotted the roadway as I made my way to the lively city.

One of the many lakes near Kenora
At camp, I met fellow-tourist Robert, who hails from near Montreal, and is on his way home after doing the Atlantic provinces and flying to Vancouver.

Breaking for dinner at a local Chinese buffet, a kind couple surprised me by picking up my tab!

The next day of cycling took me to Dryden, with more of the same beautiful scenery, as if to greet me with a friendly "Welcome to Ontario." Dryden is the home of hockey star Chris Pronger.

Dams at Dryden
Since Dryden, however, the roads have been lonely, sparsely populated, and narrow. The meager/nonexistent shoulders have made riding a white-knuckled experience!

One of many Inukshuk to guide the way
It's kind of unbelievable, but there are now seven of us cyclists doing the same route, stopping at the same cities, on the same days! We have camped and dinnered together a couple of times. It's nice to have the company at the end of the day. Unfortunately, they all speak French! One gal, from France, decided to tow her mutt with her for security. I think she regrets that idea, now! The number of cyclists I meet along the way is giving me the impression that  cycle touring is becoming very popular!

One day of foul weather ruined my camera battery due to humidity and condensation in the battery compartment. Fortunately I got a replacement for it in Thunder Bay.

Before Thunder Bay, I visited Kakabeka Falls, the first waterfalls of my trip. I've heard they are about 40 m in height. Although the water levels seemed low and slow, the falls still made a tremendous roar. I spent the night at the home of warmshowers host Frank, who was more than hospitable and entertaining.

The next major stop is probably Sault Ste. Marie, 700 km from here.

Kakabeka Falls


1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed by your journey and LOVE reading about all that you're doing/seeing! Congratulations on making it so far! Are you cycling or flying back? Aloha from Maui!:)

    ReplyDelete